Monday, July 7, 2008

Give Half, Give All

Alma 20-22
Ammon and Lamoni are going to free Aaron and some others from prison and they come across Lamoni's Dad. His Dad is angry that Lamoni didn't come to the family reunion and finds out that he has been hanging around a Nephite. His Dad is so mad that he commands Lamoni to kill Ammon. Lamoni says no and then the Dad king goes after Lamoni. Ammon stops Lamoni's dad and over takes him and the king begins to beg for his life. He offers Ammon half of his kingdom (20:23). Ammon of course only wants him to leave Lamoni alone and to go get Aaron from prison. So the old King lets them go.

Later Aaron goes to meet with Lamoni's dad and to teach him about the gospel. Aaron teaches him about Heavenly Father and about the church and Lamoni's dad says to Aaron...
Alma 22:15
15 And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy.

Sometimes when we grow up in the church we take for granted how blessed and happy we really are. Maybe it's because we have never had to live without it and we don't really know the difference. Lamoni's father was only willing to give half of what he owned when his life was at stake. When he wanted to know more about the gospel and be forgiven of his sins he was willing to give all that he had.

Are we that enthuiastic about the gospel? Do we feel that kind of passion when we are being tempted or when there is someone in our life that is ready for a little missionary work? How about just scripture study or daily prayer? Attending church?

No comments: